Skip to main content

Nayanthara: I am shocked

Nayanthara just can’t seem to keep herself out of the headlines. The latest headliner is IPL’s Chennai Super Kings (CSK) terminating her contract as their brand ambassador. The actress, who is shooting for Kuselan in Hyderabad, said she is yet to recover from the shock.

Chennai Super Kings has released a press release saying they have terminated their contract with you as brand ambassador.

I am yet to get any official letter about it. I got up in the morning to read about it in the newspapers.

But what went wrong?

I am shocked. I just can’t figure out what went wrong. I was always willing to sit across the table and discuss things with them, but their decision of dropping me has been hasty and highly unethical.

They say you did not turn up for the first match in Chennai to cheer the team?

How could I? I was unwell. My doctor had advised me to take complete bed rest after I fainted on the sets because of low BP and sunstroke. Does Mr Gurunath of CSK think media reports about my health were wrong? I was ill for three days and I can produce the diagnostic and hospital reports if needed. Anyone in the Kuselan production team will tell you that I was not shooting for three days, including the 23rd.

If I were not interested in being a part of CSK, I would never have signed up as their brand ambassador. My passion for the sport made me agree to this association with IPL and CSK.

They say that you did not honour your commitments to them.

In my MOU with CSK, it clearly states that I have to make an appearance at the star launch function, team launch function, interviews and talk shows (both individual and combined), promotional video and any six matches played in Chennai. There is no compulsion about star presence at the matches. It also says that any bonafide reason for absence can be excused.

For the star launch, Mr Gurunath called me up and said, ‘We have decided to go ahead with Vijay for the star launch. Do you have any problem?’ It was very obvious that they did not want me at the function.

Later, I attended the team launch and was ready to give dates for the photo and video shoot. But the organisers could not shoot them because of various other reasons. How can that be my fault? And, trust me, they have not shot it till date!

How do you feel right now?

I am upset that Mr Gurunath took this step just because I could not attend the match on the 23rd. I firmly believe that this is not a valid reason for them to terminate the contract.

Whether I am the star ambassador or not, I love cricket and I am a firm believer in the sportsman spirit. Chennai has given me everything in life and CSK is my team. I will cheer for them and wish Dhoni and his boys all the best.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

'Ek Thi Daayan doesn't propagate witchcraft’

Emraan Hashmi is an antithesis of his over-the-top screen image. In real life, he has a wicked sense of humour, for only those who get it. When he debuted in 2003, critics were quick to write him off due to his non-hero looks and his choice of films. It has been a long journey and not a smooth one for him since his ‘Murder’ days. From a mass hero catering to mostly frontbenchers to bankable star super-hit potboilers, he has coursed the long mile. His performance as Jogi Parmar in 'Shanghai' made the critics sit up and take notice of him. With Vishal Bhardwaj's 'Ek Thi Daayan', Emraan's filmi graph has taken a new turn as he stars along with Huma Quereshi, Kalki and Konkona Sen Sharma. In a candid chat, the star tells us about his role and why he wants to get rid of his ‘kisser’ image. Excerpts from the interview: How did ‘Ek Thi Daayan’ happen? I was drawn to the story and the subject, written by Mukul which was adapted by Vishal. It was fascinating be

Motorola's tattoos could replace passwords

Motorola’s forthcoming phones could use electronic tattoos or pills to identify users, it has been announced.   The technology, which aims to remove the need to enter passwords and replace them simply with a phone being close to a user’s body, was one of the suggestions Dennis Woodside, Motorola’s chief executive, California's D11 conference yesterday. The tattoos have been developed by Massachusetts-based engineering firm MC10, and contain flexible electronic circuits that are attached to the wearer's skin using a rubber stamp. Nokia has previously experimented with integrating tattoos into mobile phones, and Motorola's senior vice president of advance research, Regina Dugan, a former head of the US Pentagon's Defence Advanced Research Projects Agency, demonstrated the silicon-based technology that uses bendable electronic circuits. Initially designed for medical purposes, Motorola hopes the ‘Biostamps’ could now be used for consumer authentication purposes. Motor

New gold coin bears Sachin Tendulkar's face

Indian cricketer Sachin Tendulkar displays a limited edition 10 gram gold coin with an embossed image of himself after unveiling it on Akshaya Tritiya in Mumbai on May 13, 2013. A total of 100, 000 limited edition 10 gram Tendulkar Gold coins priced at INR 34,000 (USD 618) will be available for both online purchase and at retail stores of leading jewellers across the country. Akshaya Tritiya is considered to be an auspicious day in the Hindu calendar to buy valuables and people generally flock to buy gold on this day in the belief that it will increase their wealth. AFP PHOTO/ Indranil MUKHERJEE.