Skip to main content

Know when it’s the dead end!

While it takes a lot of patience to hold on to a fatigued relationship, it takes even more courage to walk away from it. Many of us carry on with empty relationships even when we know deep down that we deserve better, and we could get it. Though, pretending to be happy can sometimes be easy, living a lie is always tough. So, listen to your heart when it says it’s time to move on—as these three women did.

When he constantly puts you down
“My ex-boyfriend and I were like chalk and cheese. I am talkative; I don’t care much for social graces and I love going out with friends. He is an introvert, particular about his Ps and Qs. He loves western classical music and he could never stomach my bhangra-pop playlists. When we first met, the physical attraction made our differences seem negligible. But as the relationship continued, he’d keep correcting my language, table manners, the way I dressed and how I interacted with people. He berated me often and sometimes in public. Later, the sex was all that kept us going; we had left to talk about and the silences became awkward. That’s when I decided to call it off. Life is lonely, but at least I am not selling myself a fake dream.” 

Amrita Chauhan, 28, film marketing professional

When he refuses to trust you
“My boyfriend and I had great fun together, but we fought a lot—especially over my ex who was my dear friend. When my boyfriend’s temper tantrums got out of control, I snapped all ties with my ex. But it didn’t end there—my boyfriend got overbearing every time he saw me having a friendly conversation with any man. He used to check phone calls, and cross-examine. Though he was demonstrative, protective, thoughtful otherwise, no amount of reassurance was enough to pacify him. Things became sour when he started calling me all the time at work to keep tabs on my whereabouts. I had to choose between keeping a job and keeping him happy. I just couldn’t live in such a relationship. The split was tearful, but I am happier today and, my guess is, so is he.”
 
Elsa Paul, 30, environmental scientist

When you don’t miss him much      “We smugly scoffed at couples who were joined at the hip. Initially, the space was liberating, but when his job took him away for long spells, I missed him. Soon the calls diminished to once in 10 days. I came to accept his behaviour as part of the ‘space’ we gave each other. I noticed that even I didn’t miss him when he was away. We didn’t rush into each other’s arms when we met after these spells of separation. When my sister pointed this out to me, it got me thinking. I had a chat with my boyfriend and we realised we had drifted apart. We parted ways, but we continue to be friends.”
Ranjita Nair, 30, graphic designer

Not so soon!
Write down what exactly is bothering you, before you call it quits. “If a relationship is on the rocks, it is under threat from one of the five Cs: controlling, correcting, complaining, criticising and comparing,” says relationship counsellor Dr Sanjoy Mukerji. If a partner’s behaviour threatens to drown your self-image, it’s worth addressing. And if your discussions end up in bitter fights, maybe you just need a counsellor to help you through the rough patch.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

'Ek Thi Daayan doesn't propagate witchcraft’

Emraan Hashmi is an antithesis of his over-the-top screen image. In real life, he has a wicked sense of humour, for only those who get it. When he debuted in 2003, critics were quick to write him off due to his non-hero looks and his choice of films. It has been a long journey and not a smooth one for him since his ‘Murder’ days. From a mass hero catering to mostly frontbenchers to bankable star super-hit potboilers, he has coursed the long mile. His performance as Jogi Parmar in 'Shanghai' made the critics sit up and take notice of him. With Vishal Bhardwaj's 'Ek Thi Daayan', Emraan's filmi graph has taken a new turn as he stars along with Huma Quereshi, Kalki and Konkona Sen Sharma. In a candid chat, the star tells us about his role and why he wants to get rid of his ‘kisser’ image. Excerpts from the interview: How did ‘Ek Thi Daayan’ happen? I was drawn to the story and the subject, written by Mukul which was adapted by Vishal. It was fascinating be

Health News

Motorola's tattoos could replace passwords

Motorola’s forthcoming phones could use electronic tattoos or pills to identify users, it has been announced.   The technology, which aims to remove the need to enter passwords and replace them simply with a phone being close to a user’s body, was one of the suggestions Dennis Woodside, Motorola’s chief executive, California's D11 conference yesterday. The tattoos have been developed by Massachusetts-based engineering firm MC10, and contain flexible electronic circuits that are attached to the wearer's skin using a rubber stamp. Nokia has previously experimented with integrating tattoos into mobile phones, and Motorola's senior vice president of advance research, Regina Dugan, a former head of the US Pentagon's Defence Advanced Research Projects Agency, demonstrated the silicon-based technology that uses bendable electronic circuits. Initially designed for medical purposes, Motorola hopes the ‘Biostamps’ could now be used for consumer authentication purposes. Motor